HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Friday, December 20, 2019

Holler Creek Canyon (2006)

"Holler Creek Canyon" (2006), otherwise known as "Bigfoot at Holler Creek Canyon" isn't anything terribly unusual as Bigfoot movies go.  A group of friends, a weird local store owner and a creature running around tearing people apart.



Being totally honest, I watched this one awhile ago (not 14 years ago, but a couple of weeks), so I have more of an impression of it than a full memory of the experience.  I watched the trailer to refresh my memory.

The characters and their intertwining stories were  nothing new and they weren't handled in a particularly new manner. I'm not complaining about a lack of originality.  A lot of my favorite monster movies follow a pretty familiar formula.  This one is no different.  The thing that sets great monster movies apart are the creature, the science, the set pieces or the interactions of the familiar characters.  Nothing in "Holler Creek Canyon" was particularly stand out.  Characters argue, lots of sexual innuendo, dialogue that isn't interesting in any particular way, etc.  It's not the acting (for the most part) that let's the movie down.  I doubt I would have cared about most of these characters had anyone been playing them.  By mid-movie, when the action finally gets going in earnest, I did find myself hoping for a survivor or two.

The creature isn't particularly memorable either.  It has its moments.  At one point, when running, I was truly impressed by the size of the suit and the movement.  But honestly, I don't remember much else.  Bigfoot suits can only be so original though.  The creature has a look to live up to. Large, hairy anthropoid.  It accomplished this.

Ron Jeremy has more than a cameo here.  So, if you're a fan of his acting, there's that.

A few of the action sequences surprised me in their scope as the rest of the movie seemed like a tiny crew, ultra-low budget, affair. It made good use the location too. I absolutely would have written a bigfoot story if I had access to such a location. Also, keep in mind that in 2006 the idea of everyone having a high end camera built into their phone was still on the horizon.  Not a reality.

This isn't a horrible movie.  It can be a chore to watch at times.  Some of the dialogue isn't just interesting, but actively difficult to sit through.  But, as bigfoot movies go, it's watchable.  Definitely something to pass the time while you do something, like write online reviews or prep monster scripts of your own.




No comments:

Post a Comment