HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Friday, October 11, 2019

"Don't Kill It", but do watch it!

"Don't Kill It" is a 2016 indie feature from Director, Mike Mendez.  Full disclosure, I have some Facebook friends in common with him and once photoshopped his face onto a Spiderman image at their request.  I don't think this affected my opinion of the movie in any way. It might have affected my opinion of his friends, however.  Also, I am acquainted with Tara Cardinal, who portrayed the "kitchen demon".  While her acting was excellent in the role, she didn't have enough screen time to sway my opinion one or the other either.



Now, onto the movie.  It's October, and I nearly didn't give this one a watch because I like my monster movies with at least a bit of horror this time of  year and the fact that Dolph Lundgren was starring led me to think this would be a soft sided SyFy channel action monster flick with nothing buy CG blood and watered down violence.  The opening sequence of the movie put those worries to rest, however.  In fact, there was so much rampant, bizarre, sudden violence in the opening it very nearly disturbed me.  The heavy soundtrack and insane screech of the "demon" was all that removed the brutality enough from reality to make it watchable without causing me permanent mental scarring.  And this is ME.  Some of you may want to avoid this movie.  Especially if you have a soft spot for animals.

The title pretty much says it all.  A body jumping demon (not uncommon), is released, and possesses anyone unlucky enough to manage to kill its host.  The demon's unbridled violence towards humans and invulnerability make you wonder why the killing sprees ever stop long enough for the lead characters to have any dialogue about what's going on.  I can  not stress enough just how fast paced and violent some of the killing sprees are.  Fortunately, by the middle of the movie they become so over the top and cartoonish at moments that you're wrenched out of the movie long enough to regain your sanity.

Trying not to give too many spoilers, but give viewers fair warning, this movie is not for everyone.  There are no victims off limits here.  If the 1980s "The Blob" sewer scene seemed to cross a line to you, there are scenes in this movie that race through iron fences.

The acting is mostly solid throughout.  Lundgren, as expected, makes a good anti-hero.  He's saddled with a task no sane man would want, but anyone with a sense of duty would know he has to perform.  Krista Klebe does well playing a bit more than a sidekick (it takes awhile for her character to become an all out partner).

The gore F/X are a mix of CG and practical and some of the practical F/X are so off the wall that they're nearly comical, but again, that relief from the violent outbursts is needed to keep the viewer grounded.

With not a lot of "scares", but a difficult to stop monster and a body count any horror movie can be "proud" of, I think "Don't Kill It" makes for entertaining Halloween season viewing.  I wish I had discovered it  3 years ago, but I think I was shooting a monster movie of my own back then.  Maybe I had just come off of "Lumber vs Jack" or was starting "Jack vs Lanterns".


Silly Bonus Movie: 


No comments:

Post a Comment