HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Monday, March 25, 2019

"Outerman" - Kajui "Comedy"

I saw "Outerman" on Midnight Pulp, so it was free to watch, with ads.  For me, that was the right price for this film.  I would watch it on TV, but I doubt I would spend money to rent or buy it.  It may be worth it for big fans of "Ultraman" and shows like that because those are the series it purports to parody.



That claim of being a parody, an "action-comedy", is part of what bothered me.  I get it, a movie that takes a known entity and basically copies it is best protected when it's then called a "parody", but unless I was missing something, this isn't much of a comedy.  There is a group of self-proclaimed nerds, who are obviously meant to be funny and some jokes here and there, but not may big laughs and the situation itself, the main plot line, is actually pretty decent science fiction with a major bit of social commentary.  To me, the comedy elements were no more present than most Marvel movies.  So, it's more a modern day super hero movie than a "comedy".

The movie is subtitled, so I will admit that I may have missed nuances and I am shamefully unaware of Japanese culture outside of movies, so I may have missed some humor there.  Aficionados might find the movie funnier than I.  

On the action side, it's a bit light too.  There are giant alien fights, but not many and we only really get to experience two designs.  Siblee and the titular Outer Man.  Other monsters are briefly shown as part of clips from the show within the movie.  I'll admit, as much as I love Midnight Pulp for carrying my movies like "Lumber vs Jack" and the "Alien Vengeance" movies, their commercial placement leaves a lot to be desired.  It seems automated at minute intervals and can really break up the pace of an otherwise well put together movie. Scenes may be interrupted mid conversation or fight sequence.   Broken pace aside, I would have preferred more and/or longer monster fights, but the ones we do get are at least well done within the F/X style of the movie.



The cast is fairly strong.  The "nerds" and Ministry of Defense characters give appropriately over the top performances as serious characters in an absurd situation.  The heroes are a group of past actors from the "Outerman" show and a "homeless alien".  They all play it pretty straight and do a good job.  Miki and her nephew, Hiroshi, are what make the whole thing work.  Having a kid to watch the story unfold through and give the characters nuggets of wisdom is what made it all "ring true" for me.  This isn't so much a comedy as a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.  Having a child as a main character reminds us to watch it as we would have on a rainy afternoon during "Monster Week" on our local TV channel.  Watched through a child's eyes the movie is really entertaining and fun.

If you long for "Power Rangers" type action, but with a bit more plot and character development, and don't mind reading subtitles (Or understand Japanese), give "Outerman" (or as IMDB has it listed "Outer Man") a spin.







11 comments:

  1. hello!,I really like your writing so a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence more approximately your article on AOL?
    I need an expert in this house to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read so many articles or reviews about the blogger lovers but this paragraph is truly
    a good article, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I view something genuinely interesting about your website so I saved to fav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful extremely
    helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!!
    I certainly loved every bit of it. I have got you book marked to check out new
    things you post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some truly choice articles on this site, saved to bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning quest there. What happened after? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I log on to your blog regularly. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep it
    up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got this website from my pal who informed me concerning this site and at the moment
    this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative articles at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was more than happy to find this web site. I want to
    to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!!
    I definitely liked every little bit of it and I have you book-marked to see
    new information on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahaa, its nice conversation concerning this article here at this web
    site, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.

    ReplyDelete