HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Monday, August 6, 2018

Sharkman! -More Monster and Mad Scientist Mating Mayhem

When I saw the title "Sharkman" as a recommended movie on Amazon I didn't realize that I had already seen it over a decade ago under the title "Hammerhead".



I've always been a huge fan of hammerhead sharks, so I was excited way back then to see a movie about a human-hammerhead hybrid.  The idea of mixing Shark and Human DNA to combat cancer will seem like familiar territory for fans of 1999's "Deep Blue Sea", but this movie switches it up by giving the shark a bit of the ability to walk on land.  For those who read the review of "Monsters of Carnage: The Dinobeast", you'll also find the idea of the titular monster trying to mate with human women in this film.  What's up with that?  Is it a fetish I haven't heard of?


Anyway, I started the movie, recognized as something I had seen and decided to watch it again.  Already a good sign that I had good, if not clear, memories of it.  My younger self thought the creature design was pretty great.  And it is.  The man in suit F/X were especially impressive, if never fully shown.  For full on moving shots of the creature, a CG Hammerhead monster is used.  While I applaud the technique of using specific methods for specific F/X shots, the over a decade old CG doesn't hold up well to modern eyes.  It may have even been a bit hokey back then, but for a TV movie (I think this was a "Sci-fi original") it's acceptable.  Practical F/X were used for most of the gore and it was usually done pretty effectively.

This movie is a bit horror, a bit sci-fi and a lot of old school "Jungle Adventure" movie, with our heroes stuck on an island with a mad scientist.  The look for an escape while dealing with a monster, crazy jungle mutations (like killer vines.  I love killer vines- see "Lumber vs Jack" for proof of that.) and the mad scientist's henchman.  Somehow these guys who lose their jobs for breaking ethical ideals always wind up rich enough to hire gun toting henchmen.  As an escape the island jungle adventure, I think it's pretty effective, right down to William Forsythe's character, who we're told is an IT expert, showing great proficiency with a gun, hand to hand combat and basic survival skills.  I don't know if we ever find out about his military background or if we're just supposed to assume all IT workers are secretly jungle badasses.

Technically the movie has very little to complain about it.  It's a professional production with an occasional effect, such as bullet hits, that don't work.  Over all though, a great looking film with good audio and solid acting from an established cast.  A rarity for my reviews, I know, but this movie was on a budget level that most of the filmmakers I review here would have used to make a franchise of 10 movies.

The real problems come with the suspension of disbelief.  Why does being part hammerhead shark make our creature bullet proof.  Bullets seem to annoy it at worst, yet tranquilizer darts can penetrate its thick skin.  Or maybe the people with AK-47s just keep missing?  Also, why are they storing so much gasoline on this island?  I get it, they can't just go to the local station to fill up their two "Jeeps" and helicopter, but they've got tanks and barrels of flammable liquids all over the place.

If you're a fan of old island adventure movies with a bit of monster action thrown in ( I know I am!) then this movie is certainly worth a watch.  Lots of action, a serviceable plot and Jeffrey Combs playing the mad scientist bent on revenge with a pretty solid motivation for his crazy antics.

Expect a few clearly stupid moves on the parts of the characters, a couple of two dimensional throw away people for the shark to eat and a lot more explosions than your run of the mill horror movie.


For more TRULY FREE monster movie fun visit: Midnight Pulp !

No comments:

Post a Comment