HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Lurking, Lots of Kills, But Nobody You'll Miss

The Lurking is a movie for a very specific audience. That audience is people who want to get straight to the gore and don't really have a need for a plot, character building or any of those other distractions most movies employ.

I'll be honest  here and say that I found the music annoying.  So much so that I had the volume down low enough that I likely missed some dialogue and that may have cost me some story points, but I don't think so.  You do need to pay attention between the obligatory sex scenes and murders to catch a few points that will play into a neat moment at the end of the movie, but I don't think there was anything that would have made me care about characters with deep meaningful names like "Wasteoid 1", "Wasteoid 2" and "Jogger".  Basically, cookie cutter characters being stalked by a mysterious, faceless killer whose motivation we're never really given.

If, however, creative kills, blood, guts and moments of humor are what you want in a horror movie, then this one is for you.  Most of the acting is average for a super low budget outing. (I recently heard a review of a "low budget" movie made for $14K.  My last movie was a short that cost $4.  "Low Budget" is relative.)  When you're on a super low budget, you often show up, see the script for the first time and roll camera.  Not a lot of time rehearsals, reshoots or endless takes.  You have to finish this scene before the park ranger shows  up and ruins your day.

The movie is currently on Amazon Prime and definitely worth the price of "Included with my subscription".  For true fans of all gory and no story, it would even be worth spending money on.  Get together with your favorite wasteoid friends, crack open some cold ones, pop some corn and enjoy The Lurking for the "killer in the woods" movie that it is.

I would be interested to know what kind of kills they come up with for a sequel if they ever decide to make one.
Here's the trailer so you can decide for yourselves.




Oh, and the reason "The Lurking" originally caught my eye was because the Amazon artwork was almost exactly what I suggested trying out in my Inside HFP video about how to get a quick piece of cover art approved by Amazon Video Direct.





1 comment:

  1. By the way, what type of manufacturer would name an RV "Stopped Dead"? That would be horrible marketing.

    ReplyDelete