HFP Logo

HFP Logo

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Inspectres - They ain't the Ghostbusters!

When you read the description for "Inspectres" the first thing that will come to mind is that it's a Ghostbusters rip-off.  It's not.  It's a movie that takes the concept that if a world existed where supernatural beings were "normal" then there would be organizations to dispatch them.  It's a broad concept and where the similarities (except for a team "mascot") end.



This is an action comedy of sorts.  There are funny lines and the usual pop-culture references that post millennial movies seem to exist for, but the concept itself isn't really funny.  It's one of those movies that relies on putting bumbling work-a-day stiffs in the path of greatness in order to get laughs.  Oops, there's another Ghostbusters similarity.  But really, that's kind of a sub genre of its own.  The problem here was that I didn't find the "work-a-day stiffs" relatable or that funny most of the time.  I guess part of that can be my age, because many reviewer really seemed to connect with these characters.  

I nearly didn't write a review for this one because it already has some great praise on Amazon and I feel like I didn't enjoy it as much as others did.  Normally I try to lift lesser known movies  up or bring some outlying "stinkers" to light so others can judge for themselves.  It's rare that an indie effort was enjoyed by others more than I.

Perhaps the high ratings raised my expectations and the movie's humble beginnings didn't meet those expectations, however, the second act it picked up and marched along nicely from there.

I admit, I left the room once or twice without pausing it, but I don't think I missed much story telling.

"Inspectres" will be a fun movie for monster fans, fans of goofball movies (like many of mine), and people who like to laugh when characters in one movie quote another movie and then say something to show that they're aware they did that.  Dara (Melinda Ryba) got some of the best lines and put in a very solid performance.  Most of the acting, in fact, was okay to good, which is a plus in movies like this.

The special f/x are far from spectacular, but none are bad.  Some are retro, several are silly, but again, this is a comedy.  For an indie shot in 2013, it's a very good looking movie (things go uphill after the video store scene) and the sound is, well, not awful.  There are moments I couldn't hear characters at all and then another character's lines would hurt my ears.  This is more common than an indie director or producer likes to admit to ourselves or anyone else.

All in all, if you have Prime and haven't seen this one, give it a play.  If you find yourself wanting to stop it, do yourself a favor and either stick with it until at least 30 minutes in or fast forward that far.

Oh, and it was fun to see in the credits that Chris Lott, who provided the music for my film, "Indiscretions", was also the composer on this movie.  ( I still remember him telling me that he thought "Indiscretions" was pretty bad.  You can follow the link and judge for yourself. )


PS: If you enjoy the toaster in the corn field scene, please do head over to Amazon and check out my short film, X-24.
X-24

No comments:

Post a Comment